Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Half Dome Conquest

This blog is a tribute for conquering one of my many goals on the bucket list: to summit Half Dome. My conquer was finally achieved back in July 23, 2011.

I haven't blogged since then due to a very busy and hectic schedule. Now that time permits, I wish to share my conquest of this beast of a mountain called Half Dome. Nestled in the vast beauty of Yosemite National Park in northern California, Half Dome is a favored challenge for the avid hiker. It sits 8,000 feet high from sea level and the climb ascends 4,800 leaving you to test your physical strength.

For those that are not quite fit or out of shape, this is definitely not for you. This has been proven many times from park ranger reports who have had to helicopter and assist climbers because they could not come back down on their own. In fact, there have been deaths reported for those that are ill-prepared on this journey.

Not to scare you with the fatal statistics, but this hike should NEVER be taken lightly. For those who want to summit Half Dome, a permit is required and you can obtain them from the National Park Service website. I started my hike before sun rise. We woke up at 5am and I was up and running past the Vernal Falls and Nevada falls before noon because I knew that the average hiker takes about 10-12 hours on the climb roundtrip. I wanted to come back down before dark.

On my climb to Half Dome, I did not have a permit because it usually sells out quickly. I basically went out on a limb, so to speak, and relied heavily on luck. I must have done a great deal of good deeds in my life because I came across a group of hikers with an extra permit. Their friend simply gave up mid-way and could not make it to the top. This just gave me the motivation and drive I needed after already hiking for 8 long hours and close to the top.

As I arrived to where the cable climb starts, my fear sinks in. To stare at this gigantic piece of rock and the thought to climb on top of it by ONLY wired cables shook my nerves and turned my stomache upside down. I was definitely contemplating a turn around like the other 10 people I saw before me. Intimidating doesnt even begin to justify how terrifying this can turn out.

After working on my fear and calming my nerves, I put on my gloves to give my pull on the cables a better grasp as I hold on for dear life. Climbing the wired cables is another 400 feet up the steep dome. It's steepness isn't forgiving. If you roll anything from the top of the dome onward down, there's no stopping. Two black diamonds of snowboarding doesn't even begin to compare. It's a warning to the climbers, if you think you are strong enough, I challenge you.

Pulling myself up on the cables wasn't as bad as I thought. It was the wait. There's a wait on the cable climb because many climbers in front of you are taking it VERY slowly. Rightfully so! It was nerve -wrecking not knowing how long the wait and if your grasp will eventually give out on you. I begin to question whether this was a good idea.

After the lengthy climb, I finally made it to the last pull on the cable and arrived on the top of the dome. YIPPEE! BUT...then all of a sudden my calves begin to CRAMP on both legs. Talk about great timing! I fell to the ground and am now grasping my calves for relief as the pain of the cramps kept tightening as if my muscles were going to tear. OUCH! I've never felt cramps this horrific. My agony must have been obvious to the passing climbers because they came to assist me and luckily this person was a doctor. To make things more coincidental, a Texas Longhorns alumni, which oddly enough is my favorite college football team. What are the odds? Really? My good deeds have definitely been redeemed. The doctor assisted and advised me on stretching, had me scorch down two bottles of water and rested for a few. Moments later, I felt brave again.

As I take in the grand panoramic view of the Yosemite Valley atop 8000 feet from Half Dome, my sense of achievement was overpowering. I have accomplished many goals in my life, this one was significant. It tested my strength, questioned my will, poked my fears, derailed my confidence and yet it has rewarded me with such CONQUEST. I enjoyed great peace in solitude savoring in my conquest until my close friend Veasna joined me in relishing the moment.

We descend Half Dome and it was mortifying. To stare 8,000 feet from the top as you hold on cables to get back down was life threatening. If you make a bad slip on your grasp of the cable, that meant your LIFE, there you go, vertical fatality.  Sorry to say but as I said this summit is not for the weak-hearted and the unfit. Every single movement on the way down had to be calculated and well-thought to secure your life.

I finally made it down and my chest felt like I had taken off an armor suit that weighed a thousand pounds of steel made of worry. The thought finally settled on me, I DID IT. Mission accomplished. There wasn't much time to enjoy my victory because the sun was shining so keenly westward and I knew I had no time to waste. We doubled time on the way down. We made it to Yosemite Valley just 15 minutes shy of 8pm and the sun disappeared into the horizon. My body craved a cold shower and a beer and that I did. As I gulped down my beer and looked up at the moonlight beaming down on Half Dome  I had summit earlier, I must say a conquest never tasted so good.
Glacier Point, Yosemite

After 16 grueling miles, made it to the rim of Half Dome, the Cable climb.

Top of Half Dome

The famous tip of Half Dome

Descending down the cables to go back down. This is scary because you are looking down 8000 feet and the only thing supporting your life is your grasp on the cables. Many have actually died doing this.

Made it down safe and mission accomplished.

4 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!! You are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so incredibly proud that you did this!!! WOW! Just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle. A challenge is always welcome. =)

      Delete
  2. WOW!!! Those last two pictures are amazing, how did you take them? Someone must of been hanging on to the cable with only their foot while holding the camera pointing up towards you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEa I know, it could have been a better picture but that "person" obviously didn't have what it takes to get the job done! LOL. j/k Thanks VEEZ!

      Delete